Melbourne University evacuated after durian fruit's smell mistaken for gas leak

A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Fire Brigade released in a statement that'the off-gassing from this waste had permeated the air-handling system alarming the students and staff

A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Fire Brigade released in a statement that'the off-gassing from this waste had permeated the air-handling system alarming the students and staff

According to a statement from Melbourne's Metropolitan Fire Brigade, firefighting crews were called to the campus just after 3 p.m., and an evacuation was managed by Victoria Police as a precaution while "an investigation was launched into the source of the smell".

Note that the durian is the fruit, possessing a peculiar smell.

Nearly 40 firefighters, including masked specialist crews, had searched the building for the source of the smell, which students had feared was a chemical leak.

Even when it's ripe durian is considered the smelliest fruit in the world, leading to it being banned from places like planes and trains.

Firefighters said the odor had made its way through the building via the air conditioning system at the library of the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, the Herald Sun reported.

The smell, as it turned out, was caused by a rotting durian in one of the library's cupboards.

Cosby outburst after guilty verdict
Witnesses for the prosecution in the retrial included five other women who also accused Cosby of drugging and assaulting them. His lawyer called Constand a "con artist" who levelled false accusations against Cosby so she could sue him.

MFB informed that Melbourne's Environment Protection Authority will oversee the "removal and storage of the waste".

Singaporean scientists past year mapped the genome of the fruit, describing its smell as "a mix of an onion-like sulfury aroma with notes of sweet fruitiness and savoury soup-seasoning".

The officials released a statement, titled "Rotten afternoon on campus", explaining the rotten smell from a supposed "gas leak" was, in fact, a durian.

This is not the first time durians have caused panic.

In 2013, an entire row of city centre shops in Plymouth, England were evacuated after a suspected gas leak, which was ultimately traced to durian.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.